menu
Founded in May 1918 and given its charter by Kiwanis International in
September 1918, the Kiwanis Club of Newark, Ohio has a long and
distinguished history of civic service in Licking County.  Over the past 8
decades, the club has undertaken many community service projects: from
providing milk to undernourished children in the 1920s, to sponsoring Boy
Scout and Girl Scout troops, to printing and distributing safety pamphlets
for school children.  In addition to being one of the oldest active clubs in
Kiwanis International, the Newark Club was only the third club in the U.S.
to organize a Key Club, and the Newark Club hosted the first ever National
Key Club convention at Denison University.

Today, a major focus of the Kiwanis Club of Newark involves supporting Camp
O'Bannon, a summer camp for disadvantaged youth in Licking County.  With the
Phi Sigma Chi Fraternity and the 20th Century Club, the Newark Kiwanis
helped organize and build the camp in the late 1920s.  Over the years, the
Newark Club has purchased more land to expand the camp's size and to add
Kiwanis Park, a youth sport complex used by the Licking County Sports
Association, next to Camp O'Bannon.  The joint sponsorship and support of
Camp O'Bannon by the Kiwanis Club of Newark and the 20th Century Club
continues today.

To help fund Camp O'Bannon and the Licking County Sports Association, the
Kiwanis Club engages in a number of civic and fundraising events, including
Newark's Strawberries on the Square Festival, the Camp O'Bannon Fish Fry, and the
Newark Kiwanis Pancake Day.
 
Adapted by David Paul from A History: The Kiwanis Club of Newark, Ohio 1918-1998,
edited by Lew Hullinger, with help from Tim Norpell.